18 September 2012

Misfit

This past Sunday we finished up our worship series "A Fresh Start" at Colonial Heights.  I had picked this series to coincide with "back to school" and the fact that I am new to Colonial Heights and to South Knoxville (I have previously served churches in North, East, and West Knoxville).  The second in the series was entitled "Fit In" which had the assignment for the congregation to "choose good peeps" (associate with people who bring out the best in you).

BIT:  The Brewster's "A Fresh Start" has been a little strange.  We have moved from a community (Farragut in West Knoxville) which has, perhaps, the highest family income of anywhere in East Tennessee to South Knoxville (I don't have the stats, but I'm thinking it doesn't rank in the top 10 in family income).  To say that our move has raised a few eyebrows would be an understatement.  
Soon after moving I went to get my hair cut at Great Clips.  They asked if I was a previous customer (they track your hair cuts on the computer so that they can taylor them to your liking).  I told them that I had been to a Great Clips somewhere else, but that this was my first time here.  They put my info in the computer.  When my name was called, I shared how I wanted my hair cut.  My cutter (that doesn't sound right, but to call her a stylist ... well, you've seen my hair ... stylist would be close to a miracle worker), knowing that I was new to the community she asked, "So, where did you move from?"  I replied, "We just moved from Farragut."  My hair cut stopped.  She looked at me through the mirror, a questioning look emerged on her face (long pause) ... and she said, "From Farragut to South Knoxville?  Why?  Were you looking for a slower pace?"

BITTER:  As a United Methodist Pastor, only twice have I been able to choose my peeps (I was given the choice to go to Wesley Memorial in Cleveland and to First Broad Street in Kingsport).  All the other times, my peeps were chosen for me. This is probably a good thing.  Fitting in has not always been my strong suit.  Junior High (yes, I came before the concept of Middle School) and High School were not "good times".  Brewster Peeps were hard to come by.  My motto was (like Hermey the Elf) "I'm Independent." Again, to say that that attitude didn't work so well would be an understatement.  College, Emory and Henry, was to be my "A Fresh Start" ... I don't know if E and H was just a collection ground for misfits, but I found that I fit in.  And, I was surrounded by peeps that brought out the best in me (or at least brought out the fun in me - good times!).

BITTEST:  I've been blessed ever since.  Each place that I've been appointed ... be it my choosing (Cleveland and Kingsport) ... or chosen for me ... from Strawberry Plains, to East Knoxville ... from Farragut to South Knoxville ... I've been surrounded by peeps that bring out the best in me.  South Knoxville and Colonial Heights is not different.  It is mysterious how we fit in to the Body of Christ.  No matter our demographic, we fit in.  It's not about how much you make or how big a house you have or what emblem is on the front of your car (unless it's a Mustang or a Jeep and then I'm impressed) -- it's about the amount of love you have in your heart and how much of that love you are willing to share.  So, if you're a nitwit or just having trouble fitting in, if you're from South Knoxville or Farragut, in the words of Hermey, "Let's be independent together."

2 comments:

Brewster said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.