24 August 2011

A No Max Day

Last week was the first week of school. Since I am the parent of two transitionally challenged children, we take these new beginnings carefully. My oldest has started Middle School (which is a transition that has challenged me) and my youngest has started First Grade. With my youngest, the "transitional challenge" has historically been his process of discovering where the new boundaries are with the new teacher and challenging the flexibility of said boundaries.

As any good parent, we have been questioning the children each day on how things are going. My youngest likes to collect money, so the reward system in his class ... getting a dolphin penny for good deeds and changing 10 pennies into a dime and collecting 4 dimes for reward ... seems to be going well.

On Friday my wife was questioning our youngest about his day. He was noticeably down, so she knew something had not gone well. To the question, "What's wrong?" His answer was, "It was a No Max Day." Not knowing exactly what that meant, but getting ready for the possibility that he had to pull a stick (the opposite of the penny reward) ... the teacher saying, "No Max." ... my wife asked for more details. To "How was it a "No Max Day"? his response was "On the playground at recess, everyone I asked if I could play with them said, 'No, Max.'"

BIT: It is a hard life lesson. Sometimes the answer to our questions is "no". That God sometimes tells us "no" was the topic of Sunday's sermon. Paul, who usually seems to have it all together is told "no" twice in Acts 16:6-7. Paul wanted to go to Asia but "having been kept by the Holy Spirit from preaching the word in the province of Asia" (that's Bible Speak for "no"). Then Paul wanted to go to Bithynia "but the Spirit of Jesus would not allow them to" (again a Biblical "no"). Yet, even after two divine "no's" Paul kept on trying and finally the answer came in a vision "of a man of Macedonia standing and begging him, 'Come over to Macedonia and help us.'" (vs. 8)


I shared a little about last week being a "No John" week. A couple of really good things for the church, or at least I thought they were really good things, turned out to be divine "no's". It is easy to respond to "no's" (especially divine "no's") like a first grader ... "So what did you do, Max?" "I went over and sat by myself." Sometimes that's what we want to do. Give up or get into a mood.

BITTER: So, I've decided to model Paul. My plans were vetoed with a divine "no." Yet, we're going to keep on moving. Notice that Paul didn't stop, he "went down to Troas" (vs.8). We're going to keep connected to God in prayer, work out the plan before us, and wait for our vision of who is to "come on over to First Farragut and help us."

My youngest didn't give up completely. Monday he hit the playground, found two boys who wanted to play with him, and had a great time. He even managed to find a new girl friend. I bet it was a "Yes Max Day."

No comments: