04 December 2007

God Is Present And Active

Last night I gave the short devotional for the back to back smack down ... no, the Church Leadership Council (which was immediately followed by the Charge Conference). I shared a tid bit which I did not use in my sermon on Sunday. It comes from a sermon by Tony Everett:

Advent is a time to remember how God has been present and active in our expreience; times when we were certain of Christ's presence and guidance.

At the end of each day, the parents of Thomas (age seven) and Stephen (age five) always ask them what they remember most about their daily activities. After a day of riding their body boards on high ovean waves, their mother asked, "Boys, what good time did God give you today? What do you remember most?" Stephen declared, "I was flying for joy over those waves!" Thomase proclaimed, "I learned to ride over the waves on my knees!"

They got it! In family gatherings, choir rehearsals, Sunday school classes and committee meetings this Advent, share with each other those times, even scary times, in your life when you "just knew" that the presence and guidacne of Christ both placed you on your knees and lifted you up to fly for joy beyond the worries of the day. Christ has come! Christ is coming! Christ will come Again! Walk in the light of the Lord!

BIT: That was what I left out of my sermon ... hope you got the really good stuff! Hodie!

ANOTHER BIT: Really, What good time has God given you today?

No comments: