01 June 2010

Shocked and Proud

Today was the beginning of Vacation Bible School. Yes, I know it is a Tuesday. Who begins VBS on a Tuesday? Well, First Farragut does. Really, how many people would have shown up on Memorial Day ... really? We kicked off our new worship series "God's Word Is ..." this past Sunday. It is inspired by VBS. The VBS theme this year is "High Seas Expedition", but because we've already had worship series like "Expedition Bethlehem", "Get on the Boat: Adventures with Jesus", and "The Unexpected Adventure", I thought we might be traveled out. So ... God's Word Is ... .


Any way. We put everything away after the 11 am service on Sunday so that the VBS crew could begin decorating. The decorations stay up for this coming Sunday because it is VBS Sunday at 11 am (so don't miss it). So this morning was the first I saw of this year's theme decorations.

I was shocked! There it was -- the sacred prayer rails configured into the shape of a boat and the Holy Altar with a ship's wheel coming out of one side -- not to mention the enormous mast looming over top, with nautical flags! What were they thinking?!

And then I answered it. What were they thinking? What does it say to have an altar with a steering wheel. It means your outside the box for sure. It means your altar can go places. What about the Body and Blood of Christ that we will break and share on Sunday? Can you picture me in a robe, standing behind the altar with a steering wheel coming out of it, surrounded by prayer rails in the shape of the hull to a ship? Stop Laughing.

Yes, I know, I can picture it, too. Which makes me proud. Proud to be the pastor of such an incredibly talented and creative congregation. A group willing to except change (as long as it makes sense). A congregation that is out of the box and into the world. Sharing God's Word -- it's true ... it's comforting ... it's life-changing.


BIT: Yes, I know someone will probably say something on Sunday ... but I'll just smile and say, "I was shocked, too."

No comments: