21 February 2011

Access the Pump

We ended our "Get Pumped!" worship series on Sunday. I have really enjoyed it. The good news is that Colemun (my fit coach) and I were talking during the week and he mentioned the slogan for The Rush, which is "Stay Pumped!" Could there be a sequel? You know I love sequels!

Just because the series has ended, doesn't mean that "getting pumped" is over. One of the illustrations throughout the series has been my weight loss/getting healthy. That will continue ... until I reach my goal. Today I sit in my office wearing pants I have had folded in my closet for at least 6 years! My belt is in the first notch (not the last).

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me ... I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:12ff)

Of course Paul is not talking about my weight loss or my getting in better shape, but it does challenge me to strive for all the goals Christ desires for me (especially the ultimate goal that Paul is talking about). My third point on Sunday answered the question "How to Pump?" and related to what Paul shares with the Corinthians in 3:21, "All things are yours, whether Paul or Appollos or Cephas or the world or life or death or the present or the future -- all are yours, and you are of Christ, and Christ is of God." That's some pretty power-filled stuff! One of the pumps from the first sermon in the series was that Paul gave thanks for the Corinthians because they did not lack any spiritual gift. Paul knows of the potential that the Corinthians have in Christ and he is trying to get them pumped.

BIT: Getting pumped is not over! As Christians ... as a church that follows Jesus Christ ... as "God's coworkers ... God's field, God's building" (3:9) ... as God's "temple" (3:17) ... God has given us every gift and resource that we need to do God's work and to reach the goals God has set for us. All we have to do is ACCESS THE PUMP! Yes, the sermon series is over (with a possible sequel in the pipeline), but something we must continually do is access the pump ... use the tools that God gives us to build our spiritual lives. GET PUMPED FIRST FARRAGUT! "All things are yours ... all are YOURS, and YOU are of Christ, and Christ is of God."

No comments: