08 February 2011

Get Pumped!

We started our new worship series on Sunday, "Get Pumped!" It is on three texts from 1 Corinthians. I shared that I wanted to talk about "Why I Love First Farragut" as we celebrated the one year anniversary of our "Stepping Stones to the Future" campaign. I was drawn to 1 Corinthians because I was looking for what Paul shared with the churches. He always starts out his letters with a Thanksgiving, even when he's going to have to share some things that might be hard to hear. After reading Paul's Thanksgiving for the Corinthians, I saw that 1 Corinthians is featured in the lectionary as the readings for January and February. So, I read those texts as well. What happened was: I read 1 Corinthians + it was the lectionary for this time + our Stepping Stones Celebration + coming off "Becoming" (our last series) + my working out + doing cardio + watching what I eat + losing weight + getting in better shape = this series, "Get Pumped!"

That's what I think Paul is doing with the Corinthians -- he's pumping them up. Later he's going to let them have it. But right here in the first part of Corinthians, he's pumping them up. I connected "Why I Love First Farragut" to four of Paul's pumps: 1) I give thanks to my God always for you because ... of the "testimony about Christ was confirmed among you" (1:6). I Love First Farragut because you step with commitment. 2) I give thanks to my God always for you because ... "you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1:7). I Love First Farragut because you step with sacrifice. 3) I give thanks to my God always for you because of the ... "grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus, that in every way you were enriched in him in all speech and all knowledge" (1:4). I Love First Farragut because you step with faith. 4) I give thanks to my God always for you because ... "you are not lacking in any spiritual gifts" (1:7). I Love First Farragut because you step with vision.

BIT: On Sunday we celebrated that First Farragut United Methodist Church now owes less than $3 million dollars!

No comments: