03 March 2011

Time to Go

As I ran 5.2 miles around the lake this morning, I reflected about my time here at Lake Junaluska this week. I've been attending the 2011 Holston Conference Ministers' Convocation on "Worship ... Faithful and Relevant." First I was excited about attending because I love worship and want it to be faithful and relevant. Second, (as you may know by now by reading these blogs) I love "...", so when I saw "..." in the title of the Conference ... well ... I had to come.

My reflection led me to realize that I haven't gotten a whole lot out of the lectures. Yes, here and there, I was challenged by some theological positions, but my knowledge hasn't grown dramatically. What I have experienced this week is a closeness to God that is
transformative.

I'm in a beautiful place in the mountains. So, I couldn't help but think about The Transfiguration (this Sunday is Transfiguration Sunday, as it is Children's Sunday, we will not celebrate it at First Farragut). I share the experience from what we would have used this Sunday ... from the Gospel of Matthew ...

Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah.” While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone. As they were coming down the mountain, Jesus ordered them, “Tell no one about the vision until after the Son of Man has been raised from the dead.”

No, it has not been a huge knowledge time for me. But, it has been a huge spiritual time for me. Part of this experience has been my running around the Lake in the morning, even before sunrise. Thinking and praying ... truly feeling a closeness to God, my Creator, Jesus, my Redeemer, and the Holy Spirit, whom I have experienced as the source of my calling. In worship with my brothers and sisters in the ministry, I have experienced the closeness of God through words of prayer for each other and sharing celebrations and concerns. There is nothing more powerful than sharing a concern and having someone place their hands on you and pray, thanks to my friend Micah Nicolaus.

I find myself like Peter ... with a deep sense of wanting more! Unlike Peter, I'm ready to come home. [Honey, I've not bought any property at Lake
Junaluska] Yes, it is good to be on the mountain with God, experiencing God's closeness. Lake Junaluska IS a very special place. But, Jesus knew something that Peter didn't. If they had built some homes and stayed ... eventually ... Peter, James, and John would have missed the other disciples, their friends (those back "home"). Eventually, their calling in Christ, would have compelled them to get back to their work, their mission ... a will would have made them long to practice the insights and inspiration from their time with God. They would have missed their family and friends. My good friend Betty Furches said it to me today at breakfast, "It's day three, I'm ready to go home." [That was really what I should have said to my wife in a previous blog -- I REALLY miss you by day three and REALLY want to get home] Then she said how much "Honey" (her spouse) was also ready for her to get back.

BIT: It is time to go home. Time to get back to my work in Christ at First Farragut. And, I bring an energy and a wholeness that I did not have before coming up to the mountain. [I believe I also have a new sermon series for the Fall]. So, make sure you spend some time ... as God says in our scripture ... "LISTEN TO HIM". Have you spent some time just listening to him? I promise, you won't regret it.

No comments: