11 May 2011

Power

There's been a lot of buzz around First Farragut about power this week. I have been trying to be intentional about finding the OMG in my preaching (see OMG blog for more info http://brewsterbits.blogspot.com/2011/03/omg.html). We have started a long worship series in the book of Acts called "Hot Summer in Acts" (I knew when I titled it I was setting us up for some really hot weather this summer, but it was 89 at my house yesterday). Sunday was the first part of the Pentecost story, Acts 2:1-13. My question of reflection was the promised power came, but for what ... the power to do what?

This weekend we got to spend time with our mothers in Cleveland and Hixson, and we got to see the tornado damage in person. It was quite extensive. We visited a business that had lost power for 5 days. In worship on May 1 we had many family members from Alabama who came up here to visit with their families because they had no power and it would be days or weeks before it was restored. We've got to have power to run our homes and fuel our cars.

But what about the Church? My point (actually two points) was that the Church needs power ... Power to be a People and Power to Proclaim. There are so many needs just in our community, and when we broaden the scope to the needs of the world ... we can easily feel powerless. Acts tells us differently. God tells us differently. Jesus tells us differently. The Holy Spirit tells us differently. The church tells us differently. We are not powerless. The needs can be met, are being met, and will continue to be met as we open ourselves to the power of the Holy Spirit. Power to fulfill our mission as We Love Jesus Christ, We Love Each Other, and We Serve. (That was the OMG moment for me).

BIT: To highlight my OMG moment, the Holy Spirit lead me to a song (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). It was "The Power" by Snap. So, I ended the sermon by rapping (as best I could) the lyrics to the song:
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda hectic

and then with a creative burst, the lyrics go:
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda heavy
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda heavy
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda heavy
It's gettin', it's gettin', it's gettin' kinda heavy

And then ...

I've got the power! (yes, I sang it ... and sang it soprano). And then I got carried away (some would argue I got carried away right before the rapping). I was dancing (90's style) ... I know, I wouldn't have believed it either ... but there is video (that if posted will lead to serious repercussions).

I couldn't leave the congregation hanging ... so they got to chime in as well. I've got the power ... You've got the power ... We've got the power.

It was Pentecost in Easter at First Farragut!



BITTER: What is before us is not going to be easy. And things are definitely gettin' kinda hectic and heavy with storm devastation, broken lives, broken relationships, hopelessness, poverty, disease, and famine. We need power. The Good News is ... God knows we need the power ... and God gives the Power of the Holy Spirit to us (Acts 1:8 "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you ...").

No comments: