19 August 2011

I Got My Friday Back

The reminder came yesterday from my wife, "Tomorrow is Friday." Now, usually that statement is not remarkable for someone grounded in reality and having access to a calendar (my wife IS grounded in reality and while being, at times, scheduling challenged, she has a calendar). What made the announcement remarkable has to do with background. Since my wife is a teacher she has off during the summer. Since there is no school during the summer, my children are also home. The upside of this is that it means that scheduling vacation is easier. The downside is that I lose my alone time on Fridays.

The "background" came about half way through the summer vacation season when I accidentally let something I was thinking slip out of my mouth. The slip was, "I can't wait to get my Friday's back." My wife didn't have to have an interpretation, she knew what I meant, and she was offended (and rightly so). But once it's out ...

BIT: During the school year, Fridays are my day to decompress from the week. It is my day off. I have a very set schedule. I take my oldest to school. I go to the grocery store and do my shopping in a particular way (OCD). I come home and put the groceries in their proper place (OCD). I usually work on some project at home. I eat lunch and go to the gym to workout. I pick up my oldest from school. I soak. I cook dinner. Note there is no "we" involved in my Friday. It is refreshing and, for my introverted self, it recharges me for a new week in an extroverted vocation. As dysfunctional as I've described it, my Fridays are like my Sabbath.

During the summer Fridays look very much like Saturdays. There is a "we" component. It's not that I don't like being around my family ... Though this was the way my wife took, "I can't wait to get my Fridays back."

I do love being around my family. I just need "I" time. Life without a Friday is like someone not following the natural flow of the grocery story, or not putting all the cold items together on the checkout conveyor, or not putting the cereal on the "cereal" shelf.

BITTER: Today is the first Friday that everyone has been in school. This was what my wife was talking about yesterday. So, I dropped off my oldest at school. I went to the grocery store and followed the proper flow through the grocery store. I put my groceries on the conveyor with all the cold items together. I got home and put everything on their proper shelf. My project has been this blog. I will go to the gym in a few. I will pick up my oldest at school. I will come home and have the most amazing saltwater soak in my jacuzzi bath tub. I will grill turkey burgers on the grill with Steak Fries that will make my wife grin. So ... bring on life ... bring on church work ... bring on the family ... you can even put the cereal on the wrong self ... 'Cause, I Got My Friday Back, Baby!

No comments: