28 December 2007

"I'm Not Done, Yet!"

No, the Brewster Family will probably not be asked to light the Advent Wreath next year -- or ever for that matter. We practiced so hard. Kile worked on reading his summary sentence about lighting the candles of hope, peace. joy, and love again. Max was going to say, "Let us pray." We had it down!

And, then the time came. It was the 5:30 p.m. Christmas Eve Service. Over 400 in attendance. My family makes their way to the Advent Wreath and Lectern. Kile did a perfect job! Gincy read about each candle as I lit them. Then, it was Max's turn. I lifted him to say his line into the microphone. He said it, "Let us pray" as only a 3-year-old can. I start to let him down as the congregation all sighed together ("ohhh..."). It was a Norman Rockwell moment (if Norm included bi-racial families),

And, then if fell apart as Max started screaming (still in range of the microphone), "I'm not done yet. I'm not done yet." The sighs of the congregation turned into laughter. I prayed, but it was already over.

I have no idea what more Max wanted to do. We had not practiced anything else. He WAS done. Practice does not necessarily make perfect.

BIT: After Christmas Day, we get a feeling of being done. The presents are unwrapped. The special worship services are over. The decoration begin to come down. Yet, we know that Christmas is a season -- twelve days -- that leads into Epiphany -- which leads into Lent -- followed by Holy Wee and Easter. Advent is the beginning and Christmas keeps it going. So, as we celebrate this Christmas Season and as we move into Epiphany, my new motto is "I'm not done yet." Maybe Max just had a sense that things were just getting started.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy Wee? Just wondering...Hope you had a good time in John's Island!

Anonymous said...

John, we did not know you had a blog. Thanks for sharing. We were in Elberta sharing the gift that Madalyn is with her grandparents. You've taken a great message from the mouth of a three year old. Ah, another of God's great gifts! God bless -- keep it up -- Chris & Anna & Madalyn