26 April 2008

"I'm Going on Ahead"

For the last two Saturday mornings, Kile (my oldest) and I have gone to the "Green Belt" for some running. Actually it's more of a walk/run with the emphasis on walk. I have been running on a regular basis (again with lots of walking). I did make it 4 1/2 miles in under an hour on Thursday (something not accomplished since I arrived in Kingsport)! Those of you in Contemporary know that I've been trying to be more active with the Parish Nurse campaigns of "Walking with Jesus" and "Walking Well". I'm getting there.

Kile and I both get up before my wife and Max. I have to stick to a schedule or everything gets out of wack -- I'm sensitive that way. So, Kile and I have decided to make this our Saturday morning time. Today we had on our running outfits on and both were sporting our ipods (actually Kile had Gincy's because it has the really good 70's music). Last Saturday Kile made it 1 1/4 miles. We were set to break a record.

We set off on our walk/run. I told him that if I ran ahead and happened to get out of sight that I would turn around and come back, and that he shouldn't worry. Shortly into our walk, Kile started running, turned back and said, "I'm going on ahead, don't worry." I couldn't help but smile.

Later when I did catch up, I was running a little bit ahead of him. I don't think he knew that I could hear him -- but I had my ipod turned down so that I could hear him (paranoid). All of a sudden, from behind me, I heard him say, "I love you!" What a great start to the day!

On our way back we stopped to look at several natural wonders -- a mother duck with her 4 ducklings, a tree that had been gnawed on by beavers (go with it!), a beetle being eaten by ants (way cool!), etc. We held hands and walked some more. Kile told me this was the best day ever ...

BIT: As we were stopped looking at the natural wonders Kile told me that "sometimes you have to slow down in order to see the really good stuff." The rest of my day was incredibly crazy - a funeral planning session, a wedding and a funeral. But my philosopher son (I hope he majors in something else!) may have a point. I highly recommend taking a Saturday morning with someone special -- and -- make sure you slow down for the really good stuff.

No comments: