26 May 2008

Just Jack

There are two people to thank (or roll their yards) for bringing me to First Broad Street and Kingsport. The first is Rev. Grady Winegar, who was the Kingsport D.S. and will retire this year at Annual Conference. He was my first Senior Pastor when I was appointed as the Associate Pastor at Wesley Memorial in Cleveland, TN. The other is Rev. Jack Edwards. Jack retired last year as the Senior Pastor of First Broad Street and then took a full time job at Carter-Trent Funeral Home. He is working on becoming a licensed funeral director.

Jack had planned on coming to my last services yesterday. I met him outside Carter-Trent on my way to my jeep after worship. They had gotten several calls and he had not been able to come. He and his wife Judy are wonderful people. Even though Jack is no longer on staff at First Broad Street, I will miss him. We've gone out to lunch and had several phone conversations even after his retirement-- especially centered around my decision to move this year. His wisdom and prayer support have helped to get me through these crazy days. I also know that he and Judy will be taking more trips to Knoxville ... so, I'm sure I'll get to see them (I don't think you'll have to pry the reason out of Judy!)

BIT: You may have noticed that I have a talent at selecting very artistic pictures.

No comments: