25 May 2008

Nancy

Today was my last Sunday -- 5 days and counting! We had two fantastic worship services in Contemporary! Yes, despite my strict instructions prohibiting anything that might illicit a weepy moment, there they were. In 8:30 Contemporary, Stephanie Wood (the worship leader) was doing a great job (as always) until she started praying for Gincy and me and the kids during the morning prayer ... she's fired! Next, at 10:45 Contemporary everything was great until the band decided to end the service with "Friends are Friends Forever". What part of "no weep" did we miss!

As I think about things I will miss, the list is enormous. I've been spending time reflecting on my Nurture Staff. Nancy Tate is Director of Congregational Care and had hoped to make it to at least one of my last services. But Nancy wears many hats at First Broad Street. Some have compared our worship schedule on Sunday mornings to a Worship Mall -- 6 different services in a 3 1/2 hour period! Nancy's other hat is coordinating these. So, she was so busy this Sunday, she couldn't make it to Contemporary.

BIT: I will miss Nancy because she is phenomenal! She is a wonderful woman with such a compassionate Spirit. She knows so much about First Broad Street and our members. She's the one I ask when I have a question or a concern about someone. She is indeed my right hand (and has been known to keep me out of trouble!). Nancy also has a deep love for the church and all of our people ... especially those who are in crisis or hurting. She is a natural part of our Nurture Team!

BIT II: Nancy is the one on the right in the picture. The other person is the ever-dedicated Mary Jane Alley who works with the very talented Sue Ann Greene and Dr. Mike McIntire (who loves a good spreadsheet) . My motto is: It's always good to keep those who sign your paycheck happy!

1 comment:

DannyG said...

John, sorry that I didn't make contemporary. I had Jeanette's mom with me today and only made Teammates and the traditional service. If I dont manage to make Wednesday I want to thank you again for everythng you have done for the church as a whole and for us personally. Godspeed, friend.