28 May 2008

Roast

2 Days and Counting. Yesterday was my last Staff Meeting and, as was tradition, the staff roasted the outgoing person. It really wasn't too bad. Except for Nancy Tate coming unglued about 30 seconds into a story from my first year and having to sit down, and Karen Baker telling the "Bite Me" story, it was not too weepy or embarrassing (and I got an electric guitar that plays "It's a Small World", muscle rub?, and a 12 pack of Diet Coke!!!)

This morning was my last time in Contemplative Prayer. This has been such a surprising connection for me. I would have never believed I would have lasted for a year and half in a group that sits around in silence. But it has been refreshing spiritually. What a great support group these people have been. I will miss them and hope to continue this spiritual discipline into my ministry at Farragut. Who knows, maybe there's some budding mystics in West Knoxville?

BIT: Joy Eastridge shared an Ode (I guess that is what it is called, even though she didn't sing it) at my roast:

John Brewster
May 27, 2008
My favorite thing about John is his laugh,
He helps to make working here at First Broad Street such a blast!
If "laughter is the best medicine" indeed
Then he's the only Parish Nurse we truly need.
Three years ago he welcomed me to the Nurture Team
And made it all easy it seemed,
Keeping up with the needs and wants and sometimes demands
Of such a varied, and really enormous holy clan he understands.
An admitted "Type A"
He's learned to cope with lots of delays
Going with the flow
In contemporary God is always in charge of the show.
Preaching, teaching, leading by example, taking a stand
He's much more than a one man band.
He's kept all those balls up in the air in a beautiful juggle
[Helping me through many a computer muddle.]
Allowing God to work through him
His Grace lending a hand.
A creative powerhouse and humble spirit,
Through humor and the Gospel he helps us really feel it.
A gentle dad, to Max the Mighty and Kile the Kind
A loving husband to Gincy the Jovial.
Visiting, calling, comforting, showing true friendship
To anyone in need this man guides the membership.
Thank you, John, here you will be truly missed.
Your presence amongst us has been a blessed gift.
Thank You Staff of First Broad Street -- I will truly miss you and your ministry with me has been a blessed gift. Thanks for Five Fantastic Years!

No comments: