29 May 2008

Charred!

If Wednesday was a Roast then last night was a Charring. What a wild night at First Broad Street! It started with Master of Ceremonies Jim Welch's comment that he was "Amazed that this many people turned out to see you leave." And it went down hill from there. I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. I don't know how many Trustee rules were broken, but I'm glad I'm going to miss that meeting!

The theme -- Luau Tribute for John Brewster-- to the food and the decorations -- orchids!!! Everything was spectacular! Four "roastings" by Rev. John Bardsley, Rev. Jack Weikel, Rev. Jack Edwards, and my current D.S., Rev. Fred Dearing were only the warm up for the entertainment for the evening. I then became the theatrical prop for the "Billows of Smoke" Men's Ensemble presentation of "Man of La Manche" and "There Is Nothin' Like a Dame". Again, I don't remember horses in "South Pacific"! There was another Ode by the "Five Blondes!" (I knew we were in trouble when there were only 3). Yes, this one was put to music (if you can call it that). I will not share it in this blog -- way to much information for my Farragut readers too soon!

The Mission Intern Music Video was out of this world. I still have the song playing in my head. FANTASTIC! The video greetings from those who were not able to be present was priceless. And then there was the "First Farragut Fudge" -- there are not words to accurately describe this. How Retta, Janet and Mike pulled this one off I'll never know. I can only say that Julia is jealous and wants the recipe.

BIT: I have not run across any pictures that I would share, but I will share the closing song with my blog readers. Again, it was by the "Five (really 3) Blondes!" and is set to the tune of "Danny Boy"

Oh John-ny Boy, the Bishop, He's a callin'
from down the road on Knoxville's Western side,
First Fair-gut needs a new Senior Pastor
It's you, it's you must go and we must 'bide,
but come ye back when Forty's done thru Knoxville
or when Jul-ia gets you run out of town
For we'll be here with Clark and his short sermons,
Oh John-ny Boy, Oh John-ny Boy, we'll miss you so.
And, First Broad Street, I will miss you so.

No comments: