08 May 2008

Tunnel

Each morning after I drop Kile off at Jackson Elementary, Max and I go to "his school". Max attends First Broad Street Child Care Center and I work at First Broad Street United Methodist Church. While they both have "First Broad Street" in them, they are two separate buildings. The Child Care Center is in the Woodyard Center (aka the First Church Building) and my office is in the Main Building (aka the Broad Street Church Building). After I drop off Max in his room, I walk through the tunnel that runs underneath Watauga Street and magically appear in the Main Building. First Broad Street is two of the church-like buildings on Church Circle.

As I made that trip today, I realized how much I'm going to miss the tunnel. What other church has a tunnel that connects their buildings? I stopped to read the plaque on the wall of the tunnel (aka The Toombs H. Kay, Jr. Interlink). [Yes, I realize there are a lot of AKA's in this one!] The inscription on the plaque reads, "May this structure symbolize the completed reunion of First Methodist and Broad Street Methodist Churches.

For me, the tunnel is more than a symbol. It is indeed an interlink between where I work and where both of my sons have been taught and nurtured and disciplined (especially Max!) and loved. I have always felt a special connection. Kile & I went to work/school together. Max & I go to work/school together.

BIT: On Tuesday I sent the email ending Max's stay at First Broad Street Child Care. I can remember sending the email when Kile was ready to move to Kindergarten. Gincy and I have been blessed with marvelously dedicated and loving people to help raise our children -- it takes a church! They have invested so much time and energy. I wish I could list all of the names of those who have worked with Kile and Max all of these five years. To Karen Baker (the director) and her phenomenal staff ... We Will Miss You ALL! THANK YOU!!! -- 21 Days --

1 comment:

DannyG said...

Just think: Methodist Catacombs!