05 May 2008

Last Communion


I know our Catholic brothers and sisters have a very special time in their faith journey where they celebrate their first communion -- when they are able to receive Holy Communion. [We won't get into our sacramental differences - I save that for Confirmation Class.]

As we continue "The Countdown" of my time at First Broad Street (today we're at 25 days), I reached another last yesterday. It was my last time to celebrate Holy Communion as a staff member. It happened that I was in our two Contemporary Services and I didn't mention that it was our last during the services (I know some of you are going to be ticked that I didn't give you warning). I don't believe I would have been able to make it through the Communion Prayer had I declared that this was my last time. And you know that would have led to me having to sing (chant I guess it is in church) the Country Hymn "There's a Tear in my Communion Wine." You know ...

Lord, I've tried and I've tried

But my tears I can't hide

You are on my lonely mind.

All these blues that I've found

Have really got me down

You are on my lonely mind

--Williams (the Jr.)

It just would not have been good!

I great big thank you to Martha Wilkerson, who with superhuman dedication, has prepared our Communion Table for all these years. You are fantastic!


BIT: My last point in the sermon yesterday was about Glorifying God through our Joy in Christ. I can't think of too many occasions where I have experienced or shared more Joy in Christ than gathered around the Communion Table with the people of First Broad Street -- traditional & contemporary. Keep it Up: Glorifying God through knowing Christ and making Him known!

No comments: