16 August 2010

Update: 50 in 5

Yes, I know that I have not been doing regular updates on my 50 in 5 challenge. If you've not read the previous post ... I'm trying to lose 50 pounds in 5 months. It started on July 1 and runs through November. If your a math genius, you know that the average I need to lose is 10 pounds per month. It has been a month and a half ... so to be on target I would need to have lost 15 pounds.

[Scene cuts to John eating at the All-You-Can-Eat Seafood Buffet at Seafood World in Myrtle Beach] As we all know John struggled in July with his challenge as he was on vacation and tempted by all the wonderful food of Myrtle Beach. [Scene cuts to John walking around Pirate Land Family Campground] But he was no slouch either, regularly walking in the mornings even while on vacation. Did John exercise enough to be on his target loss or did he eat away all of his loss?

Well, for the first two weeks of July (before vacation) I did lose 5 pounds. Then two weeks of vacation, where I LOST 1 pound. Not the loss I wanted, but a loss while on vacation is a keeper. Then two weeks in August, back on the walking trail, and I lost another 4 pounds. My update is that I have lost 10 pounds (and am 5 pounds behind my goal).

But there is good news. I had my 3 month check up (which was really 5 months, but Dr. Ken didn't mention being 2 months late so we're going with it). My cholesterol came in at 199 -- below 200 for the first time since I've been testing. My sugars were down. My blood pressure top number was down 30 points (it's still high, but 30 points!).

I'll update you at the end of August. Maybe I can make up two or three pounds? Who knows.

BIT: I just wanted to share "The Call to Prayer" for my morning time with God. It is from Psalm 147:1. "Hallelujah! How good it is to sing praises to our God! How pleasant it is to honor him with praise!"

No comments: