28 March 2011

Revealing

It will probably go down as one of my more crazy ideas. I designed a t-shirt for when I reached my original goal of losing 50 pounds and weighing under 200. That's not the crazy idea. The crazy idea was how I was going to let my congregation know that I had reached this goal. They have been watching me slowly loose the weight over 3 and a half months. We did a mini worship series on "Get Pumped!" from 1 Corinthians, which highlighted getting fit and healthy, both physically and spiritually. They have been part of my inspiration as they've given me encouragement to keep going. So, I wanted them to celebrate with me.

So, the shirt had come in the mail before spring break but I had not reached the goal. And, I didn't plan to reach the goal over spring break ... eating twice at Fudpuckers in Destin while on vacation will not help you lose weight! But it sure was good. I gained 3 pounds. But then I came down with the flu ... lost the 3 pounds I had gained ... and 5 more. This past Friday I reached my goal. I weighed 197 pounds! I celebrated with Colemun, my fit trainer at The Rush ... but I didn't wear the t-shirt (because he would make me get it all sweaty). I'll wear it to The Rush on Wednesday when I have my session.

I facebooked that I was going to have a big surprise in worship on Sunday ... and all kinds of people tried to guess what it would be. Even some church members from my distant past remembered other crazy things I've done in worship.

No one guessed. I put on the t-shirt. Put my dress shirt over it. Put on my tie. Put on my robe. Put on my stole. And then at the sermon time ... I told them it was time for the surprise. I took off my stole. I took off my robe. I took off my tie. It was reported that one of our first-time visitors leaned over to the person who had invited them and asked, "What have you gotten me into here?" To which she responded, "He's not ever done this before." I took off my dress shirt to REVEAL my OnederLand t-shirt. Needless to say, I believed they were surprised. At least they looked surprised.

BIT: People started calling it a striptease, which I have opted to use "progressive reveal". Striptease in worship just doesn't sound right. Of course we did have a discussion in Church Council this week on Pole Dancing for Jesus. Don't worry, it was a very short discussion. There will be no more "reveals" for a while at First Farragut (or Pole Dancing).

BITTER: Thank you First Farragut for all your support and love. I am the most blessed to be your pastor!

No comments: