30 April 2008

5 Miles An Hour!


No, it doesn't sound real fast, but it was a milestone today. Yes, for the first time in five years I traveled, without assistance, with only my two legs & feet, five miles in only one hour (actually 59 minutes!). As I shared in an earlier post, I have been working at being more active.

Monday's trip to my doctor for my regular 6 month check up was more motivational than inspirational for my new more active lifestyle. I did lose weight -- double digits since my last visit! -- but all the other numbers we have been working on were "elevated" [which reminds me of Christ's Ascension which is celebrated TOMORROW! - I know, strange]!

So, it was back to the "Green Belt" with new intensity this week. I received good news this afternoon that the results from an additional blood test taken on Monday showed that the most critical numbers were back to "not as elevated." Hallelujah!

My next goal is to make it to 6 miles an hour (maybe by moving day: June 18th? - I'm in no hurry).

BIT: As the countdown continues -- we're at 29 days left -- I want to start sharing things I will miss about First Broad Street and Kingsport. Today, I celebrate the Green Belt -- the band of asphalt that almost continuously running from one end of Kingsport to the other. What a wise and beautiful feature! I particularly like the portion that runs alongside Reedy Creek. We will miss our bike rides, picnics, and, oh yes, did I mention 5 miles in one hour! Call me FLASH! (maybe not)

No comments: