01 May 2008

May Day!


Yes it's the 1st of May! It's Ascension Day! It's National Day of Prayer! It's my last meeting with the Stephen Ministry Leaders. So, on this 29th countdown day, I celebrate the Stephen Ministry of First Broad Street! (Yes, I know I've already used 4 exclamation points! [oops, there's 5!])

Stephen Ministry was a dream of my predecessor, Rev. Caryl Griffin. She got it started and I got to bask in all of its glory. With the fantastic leadership of Cindy Haskins and Bill Crawford it grew and thrived. With the continuing leadership of Nick Grabar and Rev. Jim Harless (and Cindy is still sticking with it) this will be a powerful ministry of First Broad Street long into the future. (Bill moved to Florida and is very active in the Stephen Ministry of his new church -- Go Bill!) Today we have over 20 persons who are trained Stephen Ministers -- those who have survived over 50 hours of training -- those who now minister to care receivers who need someone to walk beside them through a difficult time. We also have expanded this ministry to hospital visitation. There are 3 Stephen Ministers who help with our daily hospital visits. In a congregation where there are over 300 persons hospitalized in a given year, this is a valuable resource. In a congregation where over 180 persons will lose a significant loved one, this is a valuable resource. I love Stephen Ministers! I Love Stephen Leaders! I will miss you all -- all that you do, and all that you have done. (I think my popularity has been founded in a large part upon your ministry) You are incredible people, called by God, and dedicated to caring. Thank YOU!

BIT: Today, the First of May, is also ... take the top off of the Jeep Day. Now, when there is a 20% chance of rain or less, you will see me in this incredible machine! Yes, it's over 10 years old with cracking seats. But she's still incredible. I love SPRING! Pray that I will stay dry ... and that our house will sell so that the Jeep can move to Farragut!

No comments: