14 May 2008

The Joy!

Yesterday I ran into my doctor (not an actual collision!). I was running on the Green Belt and he was running the in other direction and we met. I didn't recognize him at first because he had his shirt off and he didn't look doctoral (he's also a church member and he didn't look churchy, either). It was somewhat weird because usually I'm the one who has to be in some state of undress when I meet him in a professional manner). But it was great for him to see me running because he is the one who keeps ordering all those blood tests and is working so hard to get my numbers down. I always tell him I'm exercising ... and now he actually caught me in the act!!!

I'm going to miss my doctor. He's an incredible person and a great part of our Contemporary Worship Team. He's one of the ones who ministers through sound (and other ways, too) -- running the sound board. He's also the husband of one of my Nurture Team Staff.

This leads me to my countdown -- 15 Days! Joy Eastridge is our newest addition to our Nurture Staff (I'm the 2nd newest, so that tells you about the dedication, experience, and wisdom of our team). Joy is our Parish Nurse. She is the one who really got me inspired to be more active -- yes the "not so wonderful" numbers from my doctor's blood tests were motivational, but our Parish Nurse is the one who rallied me on -- she is inspirational! Her "Walking with Jesus" and "Walking Well" and other programs have connected my physical activity with my spiritual well being and my missionary outreach. She is also active in planning a number of programs and activities that emphasis that our bodies are God's temple and we need to take care of them. Everywhere I go and visit someone has a good word about the ministry of Joy Eastridge. With her incredible team of nurses, who check my blood pressure on Sundays (NOT a good day to take my blood pressure!), she has rallied the entire congregation into better health and wholeness.

BIT: I'm going to miss Joy Eastridge, her incredible husband Dr. Wes (my doctor) her 3 fantastic children -- one of whom is a mission intern this summer. Thank You Joy for your ministry to First Broad Street, your dedication to your Savior Jesus Christ, and for making my ministry so much more fulfilling! As of Monday I've lost 25 pounds (since January 1) and at least two people noticed tonight at Wednesday Nighter!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're catching up to me (I'm at 35 since Jan.1st!)! I'm going to have to increase my weekly mileage! Seriously though, I love the blogs you're writing about our bodies being God's temple! If you were to flip back through my blogs during my SUPER intense working out I was so overcome by my neglect of the body I've been given. Thanks for promoting your passion & congrats on the 25 pounds! Looking forward to getting you on board!