15 March 2011

I Had To Put It Down

Some on the staff at First Farraugt have been trying to get me to join the "i" family. I've been resistant for several reasons. One, my carrier didn't support the "i". Two, I'm so familiar with pc. All of that came crashing down this past weekend.

The whole family loaded into the motor home to go and visit my sister who was celebrating her 40th birthday. My sister lives in the "middle of nowhere" Tennessee. So, my better half had my phone trying to get directions to her home (which shows how often I've been to visit, I repent!) My better half was having trouble with my Android phone. She kept saying that it was automatically pushing apps and moving freely in the map app. I told her that "it was working perfectly fine before she got it" (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, ONLY A PROFESSIONAL SHOULD TRY THAT LAST COMMENT). We did finally make it to my sister's home. It was a GREAT celebration!

On Saturday my Android starting acting crazy with me at the helm. It would randomly push buttons. Apps would pop up while I was trying to read email. It was a little annoying. But then Sunday came. The Android went nuts! I could not do anything with it. Soon I was in "connectivity withdrawal". No email. No Facebook. No blogs. No texting.

After lunch on Sunday, in full withdrawal with shaking, we went to the Verizon store. I handed my precious Android over to the tech guy, Daniel. Who, within 60 seconds said ... "There is nothing we can do for it ... we might be able to get your contacts off of it ... but only if we can get to the settings."

BIT: The short is that I have now entered the "i" world. Yes, I have an ipod, I'm not a total goof. But now I have an iphone 4. I know it is the first step toward total indoctrination (or in Trekkie language, assimilation). How many people do you know who purchased an Apple product and then didn't go all in?

Even with the holy grail of phones, I still grieve having to "put down" my Android. I knew where everything was ... my calendar, my apps, my email, my texts ... Now, I'm still lost.

BITTER: Worse, I've now gone 3 days without work email. Of course my better half reminds me of our prenup agreement which states that I will not engage in work related reading at anytime during my vacation (she knew from the beginning my difficulty with boundaries). So, if you've emailed me ... until I reconnect with my tech savvy staff ... am vacationing blind.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

John, you crack me up!! I love your sense of humor. You are so much farther ahead of me in the technology game, and I know I will never catch up. Hugs to Gincy and the boys!
Karen Baker